Saturday, May 21, 2011

First Harpeth Float of 11'

For the first time this year the Harpeth and weather are cooperating and allowing me to get the Yak' in the water and get my fish on!
I decided to start the year out with a bang and do what I love best and fly fish!  This was my first time fly fishing on the Harpeth and it turned out to be quit productive!
I paddled upsteam to one of my favorite holes with deep water and a nice wide bend to allow me some casting room. Do not get me wrong...I love a good roll cast as much as the next guy, but daddy wanted to let some line out!  Unfortunately, the bass were more than likely full on Cicada's and I only caught 2 small brem.

I packed up with my head down and started to long shameful trip back to the car.  As I can to an area that I usually just paddle through, something caught my eye, a rocky bottom leading to a small deep hole and CRAWFISH cruising under the yak!  I took a hard right and beached the Yak!
Fiirst cast...WAM!
I ended up catching 30 of these and 1 small mouth in 20 min of fishing.  I could not get them off the line fast enough.  As soon as the line hit the water, BAM rockbass!  I took a photo of a jet black one, he looked like he had been dipped in oil, but once again, the phone did not save the photo...

So, the first trip was successful!  No large fish to speak of, but the quantity made it a worthwhile trip (especially on fly!)  I did see 2 snakes.  1 that i am about 99% positive was a copperhead in the water and 1 small Eastern Water Snake in a tree.
I have a 6:30 date with the Harpeth in the morning, so hopefully another post is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment