Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Walk Around the Yard

This weekend was a beautiful weekend!  I wanted to take some photos to document where I start before the season begins.  So today I present a walk around my yard and some commentary on the many (most 1/2 started due to backyard ADD) project I need to get around to this year.
Area between the garage and house. 
The azalea is doing great but the Cast Iron Plant has seen better days.  This is a zone 7 plant, so the fact that it has made it through 2 winters is awesome!  I do not think the columbine is going to come back though :(

The transplant holly is doing great as are the wigilia and Korean Spice Viburnum are starting to bud and the Linton Rose and Tulips are coming up.
My little Bio-Retention area is growing in nicely
The old garden area.  Not sure what I am going to do with it.  The pond is going to be removed and will probably become a small bio-retention area to collect the water the neighbor is dumping onto my yard from his roof drains...
Hello Iris!
I think they are Siberian Iris, but they only bloomed the first year we moved in.
The burn pile!  It keeps getting bigger!
I think I see Jimmy Hoffa!
I am in the process of making a cut flower garden in this area. This is why I have been requesting wine bottles from all my friends! It may be a 2 year project.
I will hopefully get the old pond moved and a bio-retention area installed there this summer.


The creek bed looking toward 96.  I really need to finish getting the 2 downed trees out of there and remove some of the smaller junk trees to make this area presentable.  I have dreams of wildflowers and grasses here.
Creek bed looking back at the house.  Once again grasses and wildflowers are my dream.  I have about 6 transplanted dogwoods in this area as well.  I would love to blank the entire slope in dogwoods.  Anyone have some saplings I can come dig up? :)
Elaeagnus Pungens.  Planted them at 18" last year.  They will be 5' this time next year and help screen the road!
My new garden area!  I am going to start it at 10'x10' and see if I can get it to grow! (more on that in another post)

 The doodles...



Ellison helping me get ready for mulch!

1 comment:

  1. Count me in to on the love of ornamental grasses! Anything that survives our wet winters here in NJ is a friend of mine. Happy to have found your blog and look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete