Saturday, February 12, 2011

Starting the Garden...April 15th is right around the corner!

All this snow is really making me antsy for spring.  I am also look for a little revenge in my garden this year.  Last year I was defeated by my garden.  I planted 7 tomato plants, 4 bell peppers, 8 hot banana, 8 sweet banana, and 4 jalapeno plants.  I also have an asparagus fence and a grape vine.
Last year I picked 2 tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, and 30-40 hot & sweet peppers, and 20 or so jalapenos.
This year I am hoping for a much better result.
I think Ellison has reached an age that she might appreciate the garden this year and so I wanted her to help me from seed to table.  This will be the first year I have done this, so it will be a learning experience for both of us.  Along with having a gardening partner, I will be able to teach Ellison where food comes from, and hopefully by the end of summer, she will not respond "Publix."

I picked up a seed tray from the Habitat House for about $3 and my boss gave me seeds that he kept from his garden last year.

Ellison added the water

And we used some tweezers to add the seeds




We planted 72 pots with tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet and hot banana peppers, and jalapeno peppers and placed them in the window to grow.




About 15 minutes after we walked away, I went into the living room and found Ellison looking at the box intently, "Ellison, what are you doing?"  "Daddy, they not grow yet."
It is going to be a long 2 months....

No comments:

Post a Comment