Friday, February 18, 2011

Corylus avellana Contorta 'Red Majestic'

I went to true value to grab some materials for hanging the drywall this weekend.  Anytime I am there (or Lowe's or Home Depot) I am pulled into the garden section looking for deals on plants I do not need.  Well today I happened across a rare gem.  A Contourted Filbert or Harry's Walking Stick, is a little gem in any garden.  I have never really thought about using one since they are usually priced as high as most mid range Japanese Maples.  Well this one looked a little lonely in the sale line at True Value sitting there with a Birch missing 2 of his 3 canes and a redbud that was missing most her branches.  This Filbert stood out like a green thumb.  She was perfect and for $20 needed a new home!  After a little debate with my buddy J.T. Cunningham, Grassland Lawncare, (some of the best tree knowledge out there people, seriously give him a call!) I decided it would live in the desired location in front of the house.
And without further adieu, Here she is (please disregard the lack of mulch, I just cleaned the leaves out of the beds and have not remulched)

House and stressed inkerrys in the background.  Day Lillys coming up in the foreground


Inkberry in the back Rose Creek Abelia in the front



Rock wall needs some work behind that are my "Never Bloom" Hydrangeas " :(



Oh yea and my seeds are sprouting!








2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite shrubs - you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conner, you will love it. Our Corylus avellana Contorta is now 17 years old and I see it right outside our kitchen window... winter, spring, summer... always fills me with enjoyment. And some of the branches that have been pruned make for great dried arrangements.

    ReplyDelete