Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Campfire Hobo's!

While watching the fire burn down last weekend, I started reminiscing about my days as a Boy Scout and them...BAM!  It hit me....I MUST MAKE HOBO'S!
With the help of my wife, I have made some modifications to the original recipe from my youth.

I picked up from the store:
(serves 1)
1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 Vadalia Onions (or Spanish if Vadalia are not available) cut  into large pieces
1 pack baby carrots
1 Sweet Potato's (this is the key ingredient) cut into large pieces
S&P to taste
Worcestershire Sauce
Creole Seasoning
Lots of Aluminum foil.

Make your Hobo!
Divide meat and form patties.  Season with with Worcestershire Sauce, Creole Seasoning, and S&P
Add potatoes on top of 2 layers of Foil (about 18" in length)
Season with S&P and Creole Seasoning
Add Onions.  Season again
Add Meat.
Add Carrots.  Season again.
Sprinkle with Worcestershire Sauce

Add foil on top and wrap tightly to form a pouch with dinner inside (like a Hobo's sack!)

Let the fire burn down to hot coals and then lay the sack on top of the coals and cover with more.
Cook for 45min.

If you do not have a fire, you can cook in the oven (on a cookie sheet) at 375 for about 1-1.5 hrs.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment