Monday, August 23, 2010

Here Fishy Fishy!

I was able to find some time to take the canoe out to the West Harpeth this weekend for a 4 hour tour.
The first three hours were a little uneventful.  The fishing has been slow lately but even the good holes seemed dried up.  I managed to land 3 sun fish...yes 1 fish an hour!  I almost turned around and went home at that point because I had a long portage to the next hole, but knowing the next hole is always active, I figured I would make the trip.  I push pulled and drug the yak for the 300 yards or so and hopped in.  Right off the bat I landed 2 small small mouth and 2 or 3 good sized redeye.  I then caught a fish I had never seen before, I was very intrigued so I took some picks of her.
Come to find out, it's a black crapie and it must have washed out from someones farm pond during the flood.
I only wish I had know this sooner and I would have kept him instead of sending him back.  Luckily, I know where he lives! :)

I then fished the rest of the hole catching a few more redeye until I felt a little tug on the end of my line and saw the line moving sideways quickly.  I knew something big was moving with my bait, but I also knew setting the hook in a kayak is NOT easy!  I have missed more fish since I started using it.  So I was patient and set the hook hard and fast!  The next 5 min was frantic.  The fish pulled my yak around the Harpeth in circles.  Once he came the the surface looking like he had given up, only to make another run...deep into some brush.  I thought he had broken me off, but after probing the bottom with my rod tip, he surfaced again to give me one good ariel show and then slowly gave in and got in the boat with me.  The hard work payed off, the biggest fish I have caught in the Harpeth.

The long paddle upstream into the wind, was very easy after such a great fish!

1 comment:

  1. Roger Witherow says that the black crappie could actually be in the Harpeth....he thinks they are also in the Duck. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete